The Yazidi (also Yezidi, Êzidî, Yazdani, ایزدیان, Եզդիներ, Езиды) are a Kurdish- and Arabic- speaking endogamous ethno-religious community endogenously now living primarily in the Nineveh Province of northern Iraq, with a wide diaspora.
The faith of the Yazidi is a monotheist, syncretic religion. Contemporary historians see the Yazidi faith as a religion distinct from others, resulting from complex process of adaptation of elements of other religions of the region, such as Eastern Christianity, in particular the Nestorian eucharist, Mandaeism, Manachaeism, and Gnosticism. Yazidi vie their religion as older than Christinity, and evolving from ancient Persian Mithraic mysteries or from the cults of the Medes.
Lalish (Kurdish: Laliş, also called Lalişa Nûranî), is the most sacred site of the Yazidi a small mountain valley situated in the Shekhan District of Nineveh Province in northern Iraq. It is the location of the tomb of Sheikh Adi ibn Musafir (Şêx Adî), the main figure of the Yazidi faith.
Endemic Population & Diaspora:
- Iraq 500,000
- Germany 60,000
- Syria 50,000
- Russia 40,586
- Armenia 35,272
- Georgia 20,843 (18,000 in Tbilisi)
- Sweden 4,000
Regrettably i have to say the first time i heard the word Yazidi (German: Jesiden) was on last night's (08 Aug 2014) ARD Tagesschau news at 8:00 p.m. Yet another small group that is demonized, defamed, and persecuted.
Reference & for further reading;
· "Jesiden". In: Wikipedia. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesiden last viewed 09 Aug 2014).
· "Yazidi;". In: Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazidi (last viewed 09 Aug 2014).
· Yezidisches Forum e.V.: "Seite des Zentralrats der Yeziden in Deutschland". Published by: Verlag Dengê Êzîdiyan. http://www.yeziden.de/startseite.html (last viewed 09 Aug 2014).
· Editiorial: "Stellungnahme der ezidischen Gemeinschaft zu Erdogans Beleidigungen?". In: DieKurden.de (Mehr – Kurden in Europa). Stand: 2012. http://www.diekurden.de/mehr/kurden-aus-europa/stellungnahme-der-ezidischen-gemeinschaft-zu-erdogans-beleidigungen-1416460/ (last viewed 09Aug 2014).